Full time, UK
We’re a global business, headquartered in Bristol, with offices across Asia and the United States and we’re backed by some of the best names in high tech venture capital.
XMOS stands at the interface between voice processing, biometrics and artificial intelligence. Backed by some of the best names in high tech venture capital, we’re a leading supplier of voice and audio solutions to the consumer electronics market. Today our unique silicon architecture and highly differentiated software delivers class-leading far-field voice capture, and we’re building for a more natural human machine interface tomorrow.
As a deep tech company, we’re always looking for questioning, flexible and determined people to help make that happen. Ours is a learning environment, which means we hire for capability and potential – and help you to achieve your best.
Based in our Bristol office, the Software Engineer – Tools works in the in-house tools team and plays a pivotal role in developing and maintaining XMOS’ toolchain. Your responsibilities include:
- Working within the Tools team to support and enhance the complete software toolchain used by the XMOS applications teams and external customers. The toolchain is extensive, and includes the assembler, compiler, debugger and simulation environment.
- Adding tool support for the latest cutting-edge XMOS silicon design. This might mean creating a simulator for a new hardware peripheral or writing libraries to allow the use of virtual memory on an embedded device.
- Interacting with the silicon design team and the internal application development teams to support real use-cases.
What we are looking for
You’re a software developer with 2+ years of relevant experience. You’ll need to be self-directed, proactive and able to work autonomously; you’ll enjoy solving day-to-day problems with limited direction.
- Very strong C and C++ programming skills.
- A BSc or above in Computer Science or a related discipline.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- The ability to quickly assimilate complex systems and make specific improvements within them.
- Good software development practices such as: effective SCM use (e.g., Git), code review and test development.
- Confidence using Linux as a development environment.
You might also have:
- Experience with embedded systems and programming for real-time, resource-constrained environments.
- Some knowledge of some of the following: Assembly programming, Python, multi-core processor architectures, compiler fundamentals, assemblers/linkers/debuggers, build systems (e.g., GNU Make/CMake.)
- Familiarity with DevOps principles, practices and tooling.
- Experience testing complex software systems (e.g., unit and system testing, coverage analysis.)
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working – while the role is based in our Bristol office in the UK, we support flexible working patterns accommodating a mix of home and office-based working.
- Share options – EMI approved share options allocated at a level commensurate to seniority. A 4-year vesting profile with a 1-year cliff.
- Holidays – 25 days paid with an additional 3 days over the Christmas period when the office closes.
- Private medical insurance – membership of the corporate healthcare plan, currently held with AVIVA. Option of adding partner and children if they are residing in the UK (incremental premium must be paid by the Employee.)
- Group income protection cover – the level of benefit payable is 75% of scheme salary and an employee will become entitled to benefit after being unable to work because of sickness or injury for 26 continuous weeks.
- Life insurance – the benefit payable is a lump sum of 4 times scheme salary.
- Salary sacrifice pension scheme – established for employee contributions, with XMOS matching these up to 5% of salary.